30 August 2013

Reverend Moiras Boxed Set Review


Hey guys, and welcome to a review of the Reverend Moiras boxed set.

Now these models are really important for me, as they're the reason I'm playing Infinity! When Mike first suggested the idea of the game to me, I remembered models I had seen a while ago and started looking through the range.


I had seen a great sniper with a kilt (an Ariadna guy) and so I initially decided to do Ariadna. If I'm honest it wasn't quite pulling me in, but when I saw these girls in all their resplendent glory (OK, OK it was because they're half naked...) I knew I'd found what I wanted. I hadn't realised the cost in game of these ladies, so I ended up having to buy a lot of other stuff to make a list. But that's a story for another time, back to the review!

I'll rate the different aspects of the set as I go along, out of five.


Packing: 4
As a new player I was struck immediately by the quality of the box. A really nice piece of artwork adorns the foreground with a photo of the actual models slightly in the background. Opening them up I found some extra counters printed on the box that were relevant to the set on the table. Inside the soft sleeve was a harder card box that contained the models. The package was safe and really nicely put together.

Casting quality: 4
Now I don't know about you, but coming from a background in GW I hate working with metal. It's difficult to cut, shave and so on. These were absolutely amazing casts. Barely any mold lines to speak of, and no horrible miscast bits. The only reason I've given 4 out of 5 here is because I really think the part where the small pieces of sprue connect to the model could be better placed. Coming from the top of the head leaves more room for mistakes when cutting than say under the neck would. A tiny complaint really, but worth noting.

Ease of building: 3
These models are smaller than the GW heroic scale you may be used to, like me. If that's the case then you're going to have a hard time building them. Really they're getting 3 out of 5 here because of my hands being too large, which I guess is a little unfair, but it's my review dammit! If you're good with the more fiddly pieces you'll have little trouble at all though. Also I fit my set to scenic bases so had to remove the tab from the feet and pin them. You'll want a 1mm drill bit for this and you'll be aiming to drill up from the heel into the leg. Warning! This is no easy task and if you aren't used to pinning you might want to ask someone who is, just to make sure you don't damage your lovely new models!

Overall finish: 5
These models are amazing. When they're all fitted together, you really feel happy that you've invested in some quality models. Corus Belli have done a great job here making them truly feel like the most special, special characters that you'd have in other wargames!

So that's a brief review of the box, I hope it help you decide whether you'll grab some of these yourself (you should!). If you have a model, or set of models that really brought you into the game we'd love to hear about it, why not leave us a comment and tell us!

Take care and roll well!

James.

No comments:

Post a Comment