04 September 2013

Miranda Ashcroft: Model Review

Well lucky ol' me, my pre-order of the infiNity Artbook One arrived today. As a bonus extra for pre-ordering, I also recieved a limited edition model of the latest Authorised Bounty Hunter, Miranda Ashcroft. Suffice to say I've wasted no time in getting her assembled and based, and I thought I'd leave a few quick thoughts about the model.


First impressions?

I don't know if mine was a one off or not, but there was a hellish amount of flash on the model. I'd actually enjoyed the fact on my other purchases from Corvus Belli so far, that there was generally little in the way of cleanup needed before assembly. A dab of greenstuff, yes. But this one had quite thick mould lines right down the sides of it's legs, not to mention flash around almost the full edge of one arm. You can see the usual big lumps still attached to the ends of the other parts. Thankfully it was only a few minutes work to sort out.

The model itself is very nicely sculpted with one of the prettier faces I've seen on an infiNity model - for me one of the weaknesses of infiNity models overall. There is loads of detail and filigree on the various surfaces making this undoubtedly the friend of careful painters and the enemy of unthinned Citadel paint.

Interestingly the concept art showed a slightly more bulky looking character with a vast array of heavy weapon options implied. This model stays stylistically true to those designs, however the armour has been thinned out in favour of what looks more like a tight fitting body stocking with the general webbing and gubbins minimised for a more sleek and lightweight look. The other interesting difference is that she is now armed with a sword. I'm reluctant to say katana as it much thicker than one, but it follows a similar idea. As she's an option for the Imperial Service you would suspect an Asian influence is at work there. Whilst the original design would have made a fantastic model, I really like the paired down look this model has. Her feminine appearance belies the excellent close combat potential her army listing  provides.

Finally, I wasn't a fan of the default pose this model has. The right arm looks too slack on the studio version so I chose to nip off the nub on her shoulder socket and reposed the arm slightly further back and angled out a little straighter from her body. Coupled with a more extreme angle to her stance, this subtle difference means I'm really pleased with how this model has turned out.


Casting quality: 3
Loads of mould lines to clean and some chunky nubs of flash, but none were difficult to remove or require green stuff repairs.

Ease of Building: 3
Not the most frustrating infiNity model I've put together, but the two-nub socket method of locating the leg failed to provide a good fit - and small, nimble fingers are required to keep the leg in the correct position next to the adjacent left knee.

Overall: 4.5
It needed a little reposing for my tastes, but otherwise it's beautifully detailed and has a very delicate feel to it. Sword could have been slightly less chopper-like however.

No comments:

Post a Comment